Event Spotlight

October 01, 2017

Founder’s Day

Founder’s Day
Portrait of Dr. Houghton by Ralph L. Boyer

On the first Sunday in October 1848, George Hendric Houghton gathered a band of twenty-four followers for a celebration of Holy Communion in the parlor of the home of the Rev. Dr. Lawson Carter, an elderly priest, on East 24th Street.  None of those first worshipers could have imagined that they had just attended the first service of the Church of the Transfiguration, later to be celebrated as ‘The Little Church Around the Corner’. The twenty-eight year-old priest who called this small congregation into being, however, had a clear vision in mind:  to establish a parish that would minister to the poor and needy of New York City. The first service in the new church was held on Sunday, March 28th, 1850.” (excerpted from A Parish Guide to The Church of the Transfiguration by Zulette M. Catir)    

His motto was Fides Opera  (Faith and Works) 

Share